iCivics and Discovery Education Invite Students and Teachers to Explore the United States Constitution and Their Constitutional Rights Through a Unique Virtual Viewing Party
–No-Cost, One-of-a-Kind Virtual Experience to Help Students and Teachers Observe
Constitution Day 2019–
Silver Spring, MD (August 27, 2019) — On September 17th at 1:00 PM EST/10:00 AM PST, iCivics, the nonprofit founded by Sandra Day O’Connor to ensure that every student in America develops the knowledge they need for civic participation, will partner with Discovery Education, the leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms to present a special virtual viewing party for students and teachers in observance of Constitution Day 2019.
During this unique, no-cost event entitled Constitution Day 2019: Find Your Voice, teachers and students will explore the United States’ Constitution, examine the rights the Constitution guarantees all Americans, and investigate ways today’s students can participate in civic life.
Among the special guests participating in this virtual viewing party are:
- Mary Beth Tinker, noted American free speech activist, who will discuss her experiences fighting for her First Amendment rights and share with students how to make their voices heard,
- Michael A. Brown, Esq., a celebrated Baltimore, MD, attorney who will share with participants how their right to free speech is protected by the Constitution, and
- Zarea Boyde, a 12th grade student in the Law and Public Policy Academy at the Paul Laurence Dunbar High School in Washington, DC, who will share how she is advocating for positive social change in her community.
To register to participate in Constitution Day 2019: Find Your Voice, and to receive additional materials supporting Constitution Day-related classroom activities and instruction, visit the Constitution Day 2019: Find Your Voiceregistration page.
“iCivics is excited to partner with Discovery Education to produce this engaging new virtual experience,” said Chief Education Officer, Dr. Emma Humphries. “Our founder, U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, once said‘The practice of democracy is not passed down through the gene pool. It must be taught and learned anew by each generation.’ This sentiment continues to be true today, and this virtual viewing party is part of our ongoing effort to prepare students to participate in the civic life of our nation.”
Following the Virtual Viewing Party, Constitution Day 2019: Find Your Voice will be made available to users of the latest generation of the award-winning Discovery Education Streaming Plus, Discovery Education Experience, Discovery Education’s Social Studies digital curriculum, and the iCivics platform.
“Discovery Education is proud to collaborate with iCivics to present Constitution Day 2019: Find Your Voice to students nationwide,” said Discovery Education President of K-12 Education Scott Kinney. “This unique event offers an unparalleled opportunity for students of all ages to consider how they can more deeply engage in the civic life of our nation, and we invite all educators to make time to participate in this special event.”
To learn more about iCivics digital resources, visit www.icivics.org, and stay connected with iCivics on social media through Facebook and follow them on Twitter at @iCivics. For more information about Discovery Education’s digital resources and professional learning services, visit www.discoveryeducation.com, and stay connected with Discovery Education on social media through Facebook, follow us on Twitter at @DiscoveryEd, or find us on Instagram and Pinterest
About Discovery Education
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-aligned digital curriculum resources, engaging content, and professional learning for K-12 classrooms. Through its award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia resources, and the largest professional learning network of its kind, Discovery Education is transforming teaching and learning, creating immersive STEM experiences, and improving academic achievement around the globe. Discovery Education’s services are available in approximately half of U.S. classrooms and primary schools in the U.K. and reach over 5 million educators and 51 million students in more than 90 countries. Inspired by the global media company Discovery, Inc., Discovery Education partners with districts, states, and like-minded organizations to empower teachers with customized solutions that support the success of all learners. Explore the future of education at www.DiscoveryEducation.com.
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor founded iCivics in 2009 to transform the field through innovative, free educational video games and lessons that teach students to be knowledgeable, curious, and engaged in civic life. Today, iCivics is the nation’s largest provider of civic education curriculum, with our resources used by over 100,000 educators and more than 6.25 million students each year nationwide. Visit www.icivics.org to learn more.
FETC Announces Full Agenda and Highlighted Additions for 2020 Conference
The 40th anniversary event, set for January 2020 in Miami, will introduce a number of new learning opportunities for participants across all roles in education and technology leadership
PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.―The National Future of Education Technology® Conference (FETC®) today announced that the full program for the 40th anniversary event is now available online. The conference will feature more than 600 total learning opportunities, including keynote presentations from world-class speakers, targeted session tracks organized around the most relevant roles in education leadership, hands-on technology workshops and more. The conference will take place January 14-17, 2020 at the Miami Beach Convention Center in Miami, Fla.
“By remaining committed to the needs of the education technology community and providing the most relevant content and learning opportunities available at any ed tech conference, FETC has remained an essential annual destination for education leaders over the past four decades,” said Dr. Robert M. Avossa, Senior Vice President & Publisher, LRP Media Group. “As we prepare to celebrate our 40th anniversary event next January in Miami, we are proud to announce the 2020 conference agenda, filled with an abundance of learning opportunities for educators and leaders, along with new experiences we’re sure all participants will enjoy.”
New Opportunities at FETC 2020
To go along with its new location in Miami, the 2020 conference is introducing a number of new learning opportunities for participants in any role. FETC is continuing its commitment to serving the most pressing needs of educators, administrators and technology leaders in the most important and relevant roles across districts nationwide. The following opportunities are some of the highlighted new additions to the FETC program:
- New Content Tracks to Support Evolving Ed Tech Roles―FETC 2020 will feature the first-ever Future of Ed Tech Library Media Specialist and Future of Ed Tech Coach tracks. These tracks will provide targeted content to support these essential, evolving roles.
- FETC® Coaching Collaborative Powered by iTeach―FETC and the Bagwell College of Education at Kennesaw State University have partnered to provide a new certification program for technology champions, instructional technology coaches and others interested in expanding their professional knowledge of education technology. This program is free to all FETC attendees who have purchased a Basic Plus or Premium pass and includes a series of four online courses developed by the Bagwell College’s Department of Instructional Technology and iTeach program, followed by six coaching workshops on-site at FETC in January.
- Learning Sandboxes―This dedicated hands-on learning experience on the FETC Expo floor will specialize in different topics each day, including augmented and virtual reality (AR/VR), maker education and elementary digital tools. Participants will join their peers in playful exploration of robots, 3D printing tools, the latest apps and more, and engage in meaningful conversation about technology and learning.
FETC 2020 will feature world-class keynotes, including established educator favorites as well as up-and-coming voices. The presenters will engage participants with thoughtful perspectives on motivating students and leveraging the best tools and strategies to make learning practical and powerful. FETC attendees will have the opportunity to enjoy each of the following keynote sessions:
- Daniel Pink―On Wednesday, January 15, international best-selling author Daniel Pink will deliver the opening keynote, “Leadership, Innovation, and the Surprising Truth of Human Motivation.” This powerful and practical presentation will challenge attendees to consider the key question, “what motivates people to do their best work?”
- TechSHARE LIVE!―This attendee favorite—back by popular demand―will return on Thursday, January 16. Leading educational technology experts Adam Bellow, Hall Davidson, Leslie Fisher and Kathy Schrock will give participants a first look at the latest, most exciting gadgets, apps, hardware and software to involve learners in creating, making, programming, problem solving and more.
- Justin Shaifer―Shaifer will give the closing keynote, “Bring STEM to Class: A Practical Guide to Education,” on Friday, January 17. In this presentation, the dynamic 24-year-old keynoter will offer practical strategies to engage Generation Z in STEM education.
Attendee Favorites Returning to the Program
The FETC program is curated by former district leaders, innovation experts, an experienced program chair, and the expert editorial staff at LRP Media Group. Over the conference’s four days, participants can experience hundreds of unique learning opportunities. The following features and events will return to FETC 2020 based on popular demand from attendees:
- Six Targeted Content Tracks―In addition to the new tracks for library media specialists and tech coaches, FETC 2020 will return the following popular tracks: Future of Ed Tech Administrator, Future of Ed Tech Information Technology, Future of Ed Tech Educator, and Future of Ed Tech Inclusion & Special Education. Each track will have a dedicated orientation session at the beginning of the conference and will feature opportunities for attendees to select the most relevant sessions to maximize their learning.
- Mobile Mega Share―On Tuesday, January 14, educators will be able to engage with peers in this active forum and learn about the latest enhancements in mobile and digital tools. Experts will facilitate collaborative hands-on sessions on numerous topics, giving participants the chance to get leading insights on their personal topics of interest, share their own knowledge, and evaluate current research and professional practice regarding the effective use of digital tools and resources.
- Computer Science Firehose―This popular event will return on January 14, featuring speakers and practitioners who are building successful computer science education cultures. These sessions are designed to engage educators and administrators in developing and maintaining successful computer science programs at their schools and providing resources to inspire K-12 students to take interest in computer science, a fundamental skill for staying competitive in the future.
Registration is now open for the 2020 Future of Education Technology Conference. For additional information and to register, visit fetc.org/register or call toll-free 1-800-727-1227. Educators who register before November 1, 2019 will save up to $150 by securing the Super Saver rate.
About the Future of Education Technology Conference (FETC)
The Future of Education Technology Conference (FETC) annually attracts thousands of education and technology leaders for an intensive, highly collaborative exploration of new technologies, best practices and pressing issues. With basic to advanced sessions tailored to the needs of each role in the digital transformation, FETC is known as one of the nation’s premier preK-12 education technology events. FETC provides school and district administrators, classroom teachers, IT professionals, special education directors, curriculum and media specialists, and other educators with roles or interest in ed tech, the opportunity to explore the most effective integration of technology across the curriculum. FETC offers a balanced blend of administrative, instructional and technical content through targeted sessions, intensive workshops, hands-on demonstrations of the newest products, and more. Visit fetc.org for more details.
About LRP Media Group
LRP Media Group, founded in 1977 by Kenneth Kahn, is an innovative media giant serving millions of business and education professionals worldwide. Specializing in education administration, education law, education technology, federal employment, human resources, workers’ compensation and disability, LRP produces thousands of books, pamphlets, newsletters, videos and online resources. The company also produces five industry-leading print and digital magazines for key decision-makers: District Administration, Human Resources Executive®, HRM Asia, Risk & Insurance® and University Business. Additionally, LRP annually delivers top-quality training and professional development to more than 80,000 professionals through its 13 award-winning conferences and tradeshows in China, Singapore and the United States. LRP currently employs more than 500 professionals in its Connecticut, Florida, Pennsylvania, Singapore and Washington, D.C. offices. Headquartered in Palm Beach County since 1996, the company has more than $70 million in annual revenue. For a complete list of LRP resources, eCourses and conferences, please visit www.lrp.com.
The Virtual High School (VHS, Inc.) and Becker College Partner to Offer Students New Dual Credit Options
Boston — Aug. 27, 2019 — The Virtual High School (VHS Inc.), a non-profit organization empowering schools with the industry’s most extensive offering of online learning programs, today announced a new dual credit option for students. The non-profit has partnered with Becker College in Massachusetts to offer college credit for specific VHS courses taught by VHS teachers under the supervision of Becker College. These five online classes are now eligible for transcripted college credits, which are transferrable to colleges and universities throughout the nation.
|VHS Course||Becker College Equivalent Course|
|Statistics Honors (semester long)||MATH 2200 — Statistics
|U.S. Government (semester long)||GOVT 1108 — American Government
|U.S. History 1754-1877 (semester long)||HIST 1308 — U.S. History I
|U.S. History 1877-Present (semester long)||HIST 1309 — U.S. History II
|Pre- Calculus (yearlong)||MATH 2001 — Pre- Calculus and Functions|
The semester long courses are available in fall 2019 and spring 2020. Pre-calculus is a full year course, so registration is available in the fall. Students who enroll through VHS are eligible to earn three college credits for $200 per course (in addition to the VHS enrollment fee).
“We chose Becker College because it is recognized as both a national as well as a Massachusetts College of Distinction in 2019, and has been ranked by The Princeton Review as a “Best College” for undergraduate education for seven consecutive years,” said Carol Ribeiro, President & CEO of VHS. “We are pleased to help students get an early start on their college careers, and we are looking forward to working with Becker College to offer more options for students in the future.”
The dual-credit courses begin September 4. The add/drop period for fall courses ends September 10. To find out more: https://vhslearning.org/dual-credit.
About The Virtual High School (VHS, Inc.)
The Virtual High School (VHS Inc.) is an online learning pioneer. Since 1996, the nonprofit organization based in Massachusetts has set the standard for quality online education. VHS provides global online classes for secondary school students to supplement their face-to-face curriculum and online professional development for educators. The organization also meets the unique educational needs of schools through custom course development and individualized course offerings. VHS design and delivery standards are the model used by the National Education Association in their recommended standards for online learning. For more information, visitwww.vhslearning.org or call (978) 897-1900.
About Becker College
Becker College is an undergraduate and graduate, career-focused private college, providing a supportive and inclusive learning community that prepares graduates for their first to last careers. Nearly 1,800 students from the United States and around the world live and learn on the College’s Worcester and Leicester campuses. With nationally recognized programs in nursing, game design and animal studies, Becker has been consistently ranked as a “Best College” for undergraduate education by The Princeton Review.